I'll survive. Somehow I always do.
— Reilly to Odysseus
Reilly Aengus Cauldwell (b. 25 January) is an Irish half-blood wizard and Banshee half-breed of the Cauldwell family, the eldest son of Aengus and Ailbe Cauldwell (née O'Connor). He is also the elder brother of three Squibs: Conor, Benjamin and Finlay. Growing up, his family were renowned for their running of one of the wizarding world's largest Wiz-O-Farms, growing magical crops and raising livestock for the benefit of different companies; they were also known, far more discreetly, for their predilection for what many assumed to be the art of Divination.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Reilly was Sorted into Hufflepuff House, on account of his hard-working and affable nature. He soon became best friends with fellow student Odysseus Leander and later Matthew MacDougal. Throughout his school years, Reilly proved himself to be a sensible and diligent wizard, consistently trying to keep his friends out of trouble to varying degrees of success. He displayed an extraordinary gift for the likes of Herbology and Divination, but was better known to his fellow students for covertly using his talents in herb cultivation. He was also a member of Slug Club and Divination Club, and after being selected as a Prefect in his fifth year, he was finally promoted to Head Boy in his final year at Hogwarts.
- "So, my great-aunt Alanna's always going on, has been since I was young, saying we're a special kind, ancestors blessed with a gift or something like that... I know, she's mad as a box of frogs, and I'm just sitting here thinking, why has no one put this woman in St Oswald's yet, you know?"
- —Reilly on the Cauldwell family pride
Reilly Aengus Cauldwell was born on the 25th January to Aengus and Ailbe Cauldwell on the outskirts of the village of Blarney in County Cork, Ireland. His father was a wizard, while his mother was a Muggle; Aengus, a minor functionary working in the Muggle Liaison Office, met Ailbe, a former failed child-turned-stage actress, when the latter was attacked by a Lethifold disguised as a stage curtain. She reportedly fainted at the revelation of the wizarding world's existence, but upon awakening, she grew enlivened and demanded to know more. After no more than a few short months, the couple were married and expecting their first child. As a female Cauldwell had not been born nor expected in the family for generations, his parents had already anticipated his gender, planned out his full name, and decorated his room in totality.
Life after Hogwarts
- Odhrán Cauldwell: "Does that boy ever get any rest?"
- Alanna Cauldwell: "He looks like he's on death's doorstep."
- — Reilly's relatives gossip about his appearance at Caolan's wedding
Reilly, like other members of the Cauldwell family, was known for sporting messy flaming-red hair and a pale and highly freckled complexion.
Personality and traits
- "Your compassion, Reilly, is a gift, and sadly something so easily guaranteed to stop you moving forward these days."
- —Lattice on Reilly's rare and unusually empathetic nature
Magical abilities and skills
- Non-verbal magic:
- Muggle Studies:
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- History of Magic:
- Quidditch (theory):
- Bilinguist: As well as speaking English as his first language, Reilly was also fluent in his native Irish Gaelic, having been taught to speak and read in the language since childhood as was custom for members of the Cauldwell family. He was also capable of recognising other less common languages such as Runes and Gobbledegook, despite not being entirely fluent.
- Mechanical engineering: Due to his interest in Muggle technology, Reilly developed a skill in repairing various forms of Muggle machinery in his spare time, from taking apart computers to handling fully-sized automobiles. Though his attempts to repair the Charmed Camaro did not amount to much success, he likely improved his skills significantly during this little sojourn into automotive engineering and learned a great deal from it, as he was later able to make several mechanical and magical modifications to his own car as well as Aries Peltier's new motorcycle. Though the bike endured severe damage, he managed to repair the vehicle to perfect working order, which he then later returned to Lucky.
- Sign language:
- Leadership skills:
- Indomitable willpower:
- Automatic writing:
- Sound Divination:
- Harbinger of Death:
- "It's not just that he makes her a better person. He does, but she changes him too. She challenges him, surprises him, makes him question his life, beliefs. That girl is either the best thing for him or the worst."
- —Wendy on Reilly and Inny's relationship
- "I know something’s going on. I know you don’t wanna talk, but you’re still my best friend, and considering Matt's too busy chancing around to care, I'm thinking I don't have many options for new partners. When you're ready to talk, do that. But until then, I know I can still kick your short arse in at least one of these games."
- —Reilly to Ody during a game of Exploding Snap
- "She says it's been her privilege, watching you grow into the young man you've become."
- —A message from Reilly's grandmother from beyond the grave
- Matthew: "Nothing good ever stays with me, absolutely nothing."
- Reilly: "You've got me. You've got us."
- — Reilly demonstrates his loyalty and care for Matthew
- "He said... he said he doesn't think he's the same person that he was before. That he's changed — which is impossible, because who changes over one summer? He said he needs time to sort through his emotions and maybe we can get back together after — which just doesn't make any sense!"
- —Rosemary venting to Mallory about the end of her and Reilly's relationship
Reilly is an Irish name meaning "courageous, valiant". It is often used as a surname, with its other forms including O'Reilly and Riley, and it is derived from the Gaelic Ó Raghallaigh Sept that was based in Counties Cavan and Westmeath.
Aengus is a masculine given name in Irish. It is composed of the Celtic elements that ultimately amount to mean "one vigor". It is the Irish form of the Scottish Gaelic Aonghas, Aonghus. In Irish mythology, Aengus is a member of the Tuatha Dé Danann and a god of love, youth and poetic inspiration. He is traditionally described as having singing birds circling his head.
The surname Cauldwell is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is a locational surname deriving from any one of the places called "Caldwell" in North Yorkshire and Warwickshire. It means "the cold spring, or stream".
- Reilly's theme song was Prey by The Neighbourhood.