Fear is just wisdom in the face of danger, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
— Noah to Atria
Detective Noah Arkady Hilliard (b. 19 March) is a Muggle-born wizard born to Marcus and Jacqueline Hilliard. He is an only child and grew up in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire. Through his parents, Noah comes from a line of lawyers, police officers and other intelligent career paths that specialise in Muggle law enforcement. Not to much surprise, Noah fostered the clever and curious state of mind that was common within the Hilliard family from a young age.
At the age of eleven Noah learned that he was a wizard, and had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Upon attending he was Sorted into Ravenclaw House. He quickly became best friends with Lucky Peltier, but the two grew distant in their third year, during which Lucky joined the Gryffindor Quidditch team and gained a newfound sense of popularity. In his fourth year Noah joined the Morning Howler newspaper team and soon developed a reputation for his nosiness and overall journalistic disposition. He was also one of few magical folk who still regularly used Muggle technology, renowned for his expertise in coding and other fields of research.
Life after Hogwarts
Personality and traits
- "It's fucking Hilliard, he'll do anything for a story!"
- —Jamie Jordan on Noah's spirit of inquiry
- intuitive, excellent judgment
- "You don't need the instructions. When was the last time you've ever used instructions? Am I right? You don't need them, because you are too smart to waste your time with them, okay? You can figure it out. Noah, you're the one who always figures it out. So you can do it. Figure. It. Out."
Magical abilities and skills
- Expert detective skills:
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- Photography: Noah was considered a skilled photographer. Despite coming from a Muggle family, he quickly adapted to the wizarding method of producing photographs, creating moving photos from his first year onwards. Most of his photos featured in pages of The Morning Howler.
- Tracking skills:
- Logical thinking and intelligence:
- Magical knowledge:
- Leadership skills:
- First camera:
- Second camera:
Morning Howler Newspaper team
Noah is a Hebrew name meaning "rest" and "comfort." In the famous biblical story, God chooses Noah to build the ark, fill it with food and two of every animal, and survive the great flood.
Arkady is a rhythmic Russian saint's name from the Greek meaning "from Arcadia." As a literary name, it belongs to a character in Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith, a fictional detective by the name of Arkady Renko. This is a somewhat subtle reference to Noah's intuitive and journalistic nature.
Hilliard comes from the Norman names "Hildiarde", and "Hildegard," composed of Germanic elements that mean "strife", "battle", "fortress" and "stronghold". The surname has been in Ireland since the 17th century.
- As Muggle-borns inherit magic from a distant ancestor, it is possible that Noah could be related to Robert Hilliard, a Ravenclaw student who was at Hogwarts at the same time as Harry Potter.