|“||I can't control their fear, only my own.||”|
— Maisie to Don Roberto
Maisie Sekhmet Thorn (b. 10 September) is a notable pure-blood witch of the House of Thorn and indirectly, the House of Antebellum. She is the biological daughter of first cousins, Sasha Thorn and Louis Antebellum. In turn, she is the younger half-sister of Summer and Regina, and the elder half-sister of Grace. Maisie is also a member of the Peltier family through her marriage to James, with whom she had three children; Delilah, Roman, and Wednesday.
In the tradition of her family lineage, Maisie attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven where she was sorted into the Slytherin house, amongst each of her half-siblings. In her first few years of magical learning, Maisie was seen as introverted and reserved, only spending time with her cousins, Marina and Don Roberto. However, in her third year, Maisie befriended Ember Cauldwell, and eventually found herself amongst many of the Potter family. Through Ember, did Maisie meet her future husband, James, who Maisie had an on and off recurring relationship with throughout her school years. Maisie left Hogwarts in the spring of her seventh year, leaving with only her qualifications from her O.W.L.s, to which she had satisfactory results. Maisie had several careers as an adult that she embarked upon following her travels across South America, including a mercenary. She now acts as a French socialite and philanthropist, though is also a board member and legal officer of the family-owned Thorn Industries.
Maisie's magical aptitude is known for its weakness, having shown very little interest in the magical arts from her first year in magical learning. Although Maisie performs both Charms and Transfiguration as an adult, her skill is no more than satisfactory. However, Maisie's true power lays within her genetic abilities as a half-breed of human and Mermaid. Maisie is both known and feared for her impeccable strength that is known capable to overpower far larger beings than herself, such as a mature werewolf. Maisie also holds an expertise in the art of weaponry, gymnastics and martial arts, that compliments her enhanced speed and agility, also traits bestowed in her genetic makeup.
- "Aren't the Thorns the second wealthiest family in England, now? Of course, ambitious climbers don't want to stop on the second-highest rung. If only you could take that final step."
- —Madeline to Maisie on the Thorn family
- "I do not need a lesson in suffering from the likes of you."
- —Maisie to Jane, a servant to the House of Thorn
- "Common lore is that your teeth are filed to points and your eyes are black with rage. Yet here you are. Lovely as a sunny day."
- —Judy upon first meeting Maisie
Personality and traits
- "Tears aren't a woman's only weapon. That I can assure you."
- —Maisie to Ember
Due to her sharpness, Maisie can often come across as arrogant and aggressive towards those she doesn't like or who try to undermine her. Although Maisie is initially silent at the first-hand meeting, her silence does not compromise the evident presence she holds that comes from both her physical confidence and her hubris. This is shown when Ember first befriended Maisie on the Quidditch pitch in their third year, where although Maisie said little, her presence was made aware by her very movement and actions. At times, Maisie can behave immaturely, and can also be extremely impulsive, speaking before she thinks which can often backfire if put in the wrong situation. She is, however, a highly skilled manipulator with extremely questionable morals, given that she will work towards her own goals, even at the expense of others who she both may know and may not know. However, in spite of this, Maisie would never intentionally hurt the ones she dearly loves and although may not show loyalty to every individual she knows, she does indeed value loyalty above all else and considers many of her close friends as family.
- "I live in the now. If I feel something, I act. If I want something, I take it. "
- —Maisie to Lucky
Throughout Maisie's Hogwarts years, she showed many changes in her personality that were ultimately reflective of who she truly is. Upon befriending Ember in her third year, Maisie came out of her shell and although remained as sarcastic and apathetic as she had always been, she showed a lot more enthusiasm in her time at school and seemed at peace with the friends she had made, including Ember's sister Ivory, who was also best friends with their cousin Elliot and Maisie's own cousin, Don Roberto. Maisie also developed an attraction to their family cousin, James Peltier, who had been nicknamed Lucky, that also broadened Maisie as a young woman exploring her feelings though also as an individual learning about love. In their fifth year, following the events of the Winter Formal, Maisie lost a sense of control in her time at Hogwarts and often felt alone, despite having the support of Don Roberto, as well as her cousin Marina and also by her cousins, though also half-sisters, Regina and Grace, who personally showed their support to Maisie by encouraging her in times of need. Upon returning to Hogwarts for their sixth year, Maisie had once again undergone a further change in her personality though also in her physical appearance, that had always told a lot about Maisie's lack of care for material possessions and her preference to be practical and agile. Maisie was shown to resemble the same tall posture as the Antebellums, following suit in their style and selection of designer wear that Maisie's own mother had often encouraged her to wear all throughout her childhood. Although Maisie's alliance with the sisters did not last, the learning curve she experienced across her fifth and sixth years at Hogwarts shaped Maisie greatly as an individual and taught her of the importance of friendship and loyalty.
In spite of the unconditional love Sasha showed to Maisie as she matured, Maisie often neglected her mother's love and felt that she was being controlled, which caused her elder half-sister Summer to develop a deep hatred for Maisie, as she envied the attention Sasha gave her. Maisie suppressed herself in various ways for years until she befriended Ember, though as a result of this, she has become a methodical and cunning individual who has learnt greatly from her mother, more so than she had first intended. A further change Maisie experienced was the one of motherhood, where she came to greatly resemble her mother, becoming more manipulative and snobbish in her overall approach to life. Although Maisie kept many of her original qualities, of bravery and ambition, she experienced many changes in the first few life stages of her life that brought her to be the pragmatic person she is today.
Magical abilities and skills
- "If I wanted to kill you, do you think I'd let a wooden door stop me?"
- —Maisie to Don
Maisie is known and feared by many for her impeccable physical strength, skills in martial arts and weaponry, as well as her excellent gymnastic talents that each embody Maisie's true physical potential and skills as a fighter. Having lacked magical aptitude and talent since she was a child, Maisie discovered that unlike her half-sister, Summer, and more like her mother, Sasha, Maisie had inherited a genetically enhanced physical strength that stemmed from her own genetics as a half-breed between mermaid and human, but also from her mother's genetics, as a half-breed between siren and human, which unveiled Maisie's talents to not only physically overpower individuals, but to bewitch and induce fear, intimidation and doubt onto her opponents. Although Maisie lacks talent as a witch, her skills as a half-breed are unmatched in her physical strength by those of the species, making Maisie a truly unique specimen.
- Amphibious transformation: Maisie, as a half-breed of mermaid and human, is able to transform between an ordinary human appearance and that of a mermaid appearance, by undergoing a quick metamorphosis. Providing that she remains adequately hydrated and returns to the water occasionally, Maisie is perfectly within her ability to live on land for extensive amounts of time.
- Aquatic habitation: Maisie is able to survive and adapt to any underwater environment she encountered, including enduring high water pressure and extreme water temperatures.
- Enhanced strength: Maisie's most notable overall ability is undoubtedly her superior level of enhanced strength, that in her youth, seemed to be augmented by fear, anger, and frustration. Even before Maisie had developed any sufficient combat training or skill, she managed to maintain a sufficient raw strength that compensated for her lack of diplomacy and precision. Maisie's strength is comparable to that of much larger humanoid beasts, being that she is fully within her ability to overpower a mature werewolf.
- Enhanced speed and agility: In water, Maisie's powerful and streamlined tail allows her to propel through the roughest waters with incredible speed, grace, and agility with minimal restrictions to water resistance. Mermaids as a species are noted as being five times faster than a sailfish, the fastest animal in the water. She is also extremely agile and flexible both in water and on land, giving her great flexibility in her overall movement.
- Underwater protection: Maisie is also granted with the ability to bestow a gift of underwater protection onto an individual by kissing them, that in turn, gives them the ability to breathe underwater for the duration they remain beneath it. Upon returning to the surface, the enchantment is broken.
- Fear inducement: A gift inherited from her mother, a siren, Maisie inherited the rare gift of fear inducement, or commonly known as intimidation, a branch of the power of seduction. It enables Maisie to cast doubt or induce a sense of fear into her opponents and is noted as being an extremely difficult gift to manoeuvre.
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- Atanas: "I've heard you're quite fascial with the knife."
- Maisie: "I'm the best. I could kill you from clear across this courtyard."
- — Maisie and Atanas
- Martial Arts:
- "My sister and I have our differences. She takes great pleasure in her little charades. I take great pleasure in thwarting them."
- —Summer on her and Maisie's relationship
- "If you ever call me sister again, I'll have you strangled in your sleep."
- —Regina threatening Maisie
- "I can't help it. I mean, every time I look at her, I get this... this hollow feeling in my chest, and it's like... it's like someone literally took a shovel and dug a hole in me."
- —James to Ember about his feelings for Maisie
- "She's more than a friend. She's the sister I wanted and should have had."
- —Maisie about Ember
In the English meaning of the name Maisie, it is commonly noted as being a nickname for Margaret or Marjorie. In the Scottish meaning of the name, it is a Scottish Diminutive form of Margaret; Pearl, Child of Light.
Maisie's middle name, Sekhmet, is the name of one of the oldest known Egyptian deities. Her name is derived from the Egyptian word Sekhem (which means power or might) and is often translated as the Powerful One or She who is Powerful. Sekhmet was the Goddess of fire, war, vengeance, and medicine.
The surname Thorn derives from an English and Danish background. It is a topographic name for someone who lived by a thorn bush or hedge (Old English, Old Norse þorn).
- Maisie's theme song is Fighter by Christina Aguilera.
- Maisie's specialised soundtrack, titled warriors, can be found on 8tracks.
- During her Hogwarts years, Maisie studied the mandatory subjects necessary for O.W.L.s, as well as an optional two of Care of Magical Creatures and Divination. For her N.E.W.T exams, she studied a total of three subjects, including Care of Magical Creatures, Divination and Transfiguration.
- The character of Maisie is loosely inspired by that of a Valkyrie, an Ancient host of female figures from Norse Mythology who may select those who die in battle and those who may live.
- Maisie is also loosely inspired by Elizabeth I of England, who was the reigning monarch of England and Ireland in the late sixteenth century.
- Her second model, Rachel Skarsten, plays the character of a Valkyrie in the TV series "Lost Girl." Skarsten also portrayed Elizabeth I on the CW's "Reign."
- The first model to portray Maisie, Chloe Moretz, featured in a music video for "Our Deal" by Best Coast, directed by Drew Barrymore, along with Tyler Posey, who portrays Maisie's main love interest, James Peltier.
- Maisie's episode during her fifth year at the Winter Ball is generously based around Stephen King's prom scene in his novel, "Carrie" in which her first model, Chloe Moretz, portrayed in the 2013 live-action movie.