There is no good or bad, there's only weak or powerful. And I want to be powerful.
— Linus to his family
Linus Arcturus Mortan (b. 27 July – 3 August) was a half-blood wizard of the Potter and Mortan family, the youngest child and only son of Corvus and Astoria Mortan (née Malfoy-Potter). He was also the younger half-brother of Gwendoline Mortan. The son of a school governor and a journalist for the Daily Prophet, Linus grew up extremely spoiled, nosy and entitled, thinking very highly of himself and his family.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Linus was Sorted into Slytherin House.
- "I want to believe that the past is done with us the moment we are done with it."
- —Linus to Sirius on his regrets
Death and post-mortem
Personality and traits
- "My friendship with the Mortans has always been productive. But Linus is not a reliable ally. He's a vicious boy who was raised to believe he was born with a crown on his head. And who could trust a friend like that?"
- —Sirius on Linus' arrogant and untrustworthy nature
Magical abilities and skills
- Dark Arts:
- Non-verbal magic:
- Ancient Runes:
- Unforgivable Curses:
- Linus: "I don't like you."
- Lily Leander: "I'll get over it."
- — Linus to Inny at a family gathering
- Linus: "I'm exactly what you need in a right hand."
- Sirius: "So that's what this is about."
- Linus: "Isn't everything about something?"
- — Linus expresses his desires to assist Sirius
The name Linus means "flax" in Greek, possibly indicating someone who was blond or flaxen-haired. Some sources say it is Etruscan for "one who mourns." In Greek mythology, Linus was the son of Apollo, and a talented musician on the lyre.
Arcturus, also designated Alpha Boötis (α Boötis, abbreviated Alpha Boo, α Boo), is the brightest star in the constellation of Boötes, the fourth-brightest in the night sky, and the brightest in the northern celestial hemisphere. Arcturus is also part of the Spring Triangle asterism and, by extension, also of the Great Diamond along with the star Cor Caroli. Loosely it can be translated from Greek as "guardian of the bear."
The surname Mortan may have several meanings. It could be seen as a variant of the Scottish habitational name Morton, meaning from the farm near the moor. However, it is believed to be a surname of French origin, taken from the old French word morte meaning "death" or "to die".
- Linus's specialised soundtrack, titled sell your soul, can be found on 8tracks.
- Linus's surname Mortan is derived from the French word morte, meaning death or to die. While this is ironic as members of the Mortan family usually are thought to live very long lives, this may be potential foreshadowing towards his own death, as he, his wife and his daughter (both of whom also took the name) died after meeting terrible fates.