Someone once told me, the only time a man can really be brave is when he's afraid.
— Leo to Musidora
Leo Alexander Jordan-Potter (born Leo Joyner) (b. 31 August) is a Muggle-born wizard of the Jordan and Potter families, the adoptive son of Elliot Potter and Jamie Jordan. He is also the younger adoptive brother of Kalysta, the elder adoptive brother of Maggie, and the biological brother of Lucas and seven others. Originally born into an impoverished Muggle background, Leo had been displaying signs of magic ever since infancy, and underwent a great culture shock when he was soon adopted into a magical family. Over time, he has been acknowledged as the one of the wildest members of the family to date.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry like his siblings, Leo was Sorted into Gryffindor House for his dauntlessness and dynamic nature. He was initially in the same year as his adoptive cousins Albus Cauldwell and Roman Peltier-Thorn, but was made to repeat a year after failing his first year examinations. Fond of mischief and chaos, Leo was a born troublemaker who served as a constant pain to the school and its inhabitants, his destructive streak and sadistic tendencies constantly keeping him on the verge of expulsion.
- Elliot Potter: "I only looked away for two seconds!"
- Ember Cauldwell: "Oh, I don't think it's bad parenting. I think maybe this little monster was just born to wreak havoc."
- — The early development of Leo's riotous behaviour
Leo grew up as the middle child between his two adoptive sisters — Kalysta and Maggie — in the Jordan-Potter family home in Sale, Greater Manchester. Kalysta became extremely jealous of him from the moment he was introduced, wary that he was going to steal all her attention and eventually replace her.
Life after Hogwarts
- Elliot Potter: "Everyone forgets he's only fourteen because—"
- Ember Cauldwell: "He was held back?"
- Elliot Potter: "I was going to say because he's so bloody huge."
- — Leo undergoes a sudden growth spurt
On one occasion during his time at Camp Calcata, Leo had his hair shaved, after protests of it being too "unruly". However, the next morning, all of his hair had grown back, and to its previous messy state at that.
Personality and traits
- "The fact of the matter is, the sooner Leo is placed in prison, the far safer this world will be."
- —Professor Polmear regarding Leo's deleterious behaviour
Magical abilities and skills
- "If you ask me, I think we've been underestimating that boy for far too long."
- —Atria regarding Leo and his magical talents
- "I'm sure Mr. Jordan-Potter would be happy to assist. As I recall, he has a particular proclivity for pyrotechnics."
- —Sentiatla regarding Leo's bomb-making skills
- Pyrotechnics: Whilst not a specific branch of magic, Leo was very skilled in his ability to conjure or create magic of a pyrotechnic effect.
- Auror skills:
- Non-verbal magic:
- Quidditch (theory): Despite not showing very much interest for it, Leo grew up surrounded by a family of keen Quidditch players, and so had a vast store of knowledge about the sport.
- Spell creation:
- "He's been picked as exceptionally gifted at chess. Maybe he's finally discovered his intellectual side."
- Wizard's Chess:
- Secret passageways expert:
- Dogwood wand: Leo's wand was manufactured by Orland Ollivander and purchased from his shop in Diagon Alley prior to beginning his magical education. It was twelve inches long, made of dogwood with a phoenix feather core. Wands made from dogwood were known to pick quirky and mischievous owners who can provide them with scope for excitement and fun, and have been known to perform outstanding spells under difficult conditions. This was evident throughout Leo's lifetime; he was greatly attached to his wand, and while it often helped him carry out many mischievous schemes and troublesome activities, it was also capable of producing suitably clever and dazzling enchantments.
- Nike: Nike was initially Leo's pet owl, gifted to him on his eleventh birthday by his grandfather Philip. She had been purchased from Eeylops Owl Emporium. Leo had a strong affection for Nike, but often had to compete with his younger sister Maggie who too loved the owl; conversely, Nike seemed to favour them both. Eventually the siblings agreed to share the owl between them and care for it equally when they were both at Hogwarts. Anyone that knew Nike knew she was a noisy and perpetually excitable owl, similar to her joint owners.
- Cloak of Invisibility:
- Marauder's Map:
- Cross chain:
- Wizard's Chess set:
- "I don't think you're a waste of space."
- —Leo takes sympathy on Urya
- Jamie Jordan: "Leo, what did I tell you about calling your cousin the Devil?"
- Leo: "That it’s offensive to the Devil?"
- — Leo indirectly mocking Albus
- Leo: "How'd you know when you're in love?"
- Elliot: "Stuff like that, I think you just know. Why? Are you?"
- — Leo questions the depth of his feelings for Iseult
Leo and Iseult first met when the Beauxbatons delegation arrived at Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament in their third years. Leo was eager to make an impression on at least one of the Beauxbatons, while Iseult had only come to accompany her brother who hoped to be chosen as the Beauxbatons champion. They did not initially speak, as Iseult was not at all enthusiastic about Hogwarts or its students, and had a tendency to frequently complain in French about most aspects of the school. The two were not formally introduced until they were forced to spend a detention together: Leo for bullying other students, and Iseult for graffitiing French curse words on the walls of the first-floor corridor. Rather than be like others who were furious with the graffiti, Leo thought the idea was ingenious and was both stunned and impressed upon finding out that Iseult was the mastermind behind it all.
Leo took an instant liking to Iseult, and purposefully began getting in more trouble just to go back to detention and spend time alone with her. Though it seemed that she knew barely any English, they overcame this language barrier and bonded over a shared passion for deleterious behaviour instead; Leo was heartened to discover someone so similar and still so close in age to himself, who did not condemn his rebellious behaviour or tried to suppress her urges. Iseult, like him, also had the ability to see Thestrals, although she would not reveal why.
- "You're my house elf now. When I call you, you run."
- —Leo takes charge of Niles
Niles Quigley, a Gryffindor student who was three years younger than Leo, had heard lots about the famous Jordan-Potter family and was extremely struck by them. After trying to excitedly talk to Maggie, who responded with hostility, Niles approached Leo, who willingly gave him an autograph without too much protest. Unlike the others, Leo did not find Niles that irritating, and was moreover fascinated by the idea of having a servant he could order into doing his bidding.
- "I must be frank, Mr Potter—I do not consider myself religious, but every now and then, a child comes along who makes me believe in the existence of Satan. I think you should do something about your son."
- —Professor Polmear confides his worries about Leo
When it came to the staff at Hogwarts, Leo's reputation had the tendency to precede him.
- "The little miscreant thinks he's capable of anything!"
- —Professor Mortan losing her temper over Leo's misbehaviours
Leo also strongly disliked yet still liked annoying Fergus Ciogach, the school caretaker. Ciogach had punished him repeatedly during his Hogwarts years for his misbehaviours, and often deemed him the cause of his hardship and stress. Ciogach at one point claimed that the boy was going to send him to "an early death" and, according to Leo, he had also called him "one of God's mistakes". Even Ciogach's great knowledge of all Hogwarts' secret passageways seemed to be somewhat easily rivalled by Leo's. Leo had also stolen the Marauder's Map from Ciogach while he was in trouble in his office, after it was confiscated from Albus. While there, Leo noticed that among his many file cabinets documenting the punishments he handed out over the years, Ciogach had an entire drawer dedicated to him. When Almeria Prismall felt that more sadistic punishments ought to be issued to stifle Leo's disobedience, Ciogach supported her. It seemed part of the caretaker's opinion of him was based upon judgment of his family history, such as when he asked Leo whether he was planning in his grandfather's criminal footsteps, or when he referred to Leo as "Muggle-hating" despite Leo never having displayed any prejudice of the sort and actually being a Muggle-born himself
Leo is Latin for "lion," and it was the name of many early Christian saints and several popes. In German, it's a short form of Leon or Leopold, meaning "brave people." This may allude to his brave and dynamic nature, being a natural member of Gryffindor House.
Alexander is a Greek baby name meaning "defender of men." Countless kings and emperors named Alexander have ruled since the time of the ancient Greeks.
Jordan is a unisex name derivative from the Hebrew word "yarden", meaning to descend or "to go down." This name is also taken from the river Jordan in the Middle East. At the time of the Crusades it was common practice for crusaders and pilgrims to bring back flasks of water from the river in which John the Baptist had baptized people, including Christ himself, and to use it in the christening of their own children.
Potter is a very common surname of English origin. It traditionally refers to the occupation of making pottery. Beatrix Potter was a well-known English children's author. Potter's Field is the name for a burial ground for the unknown or unclaimed dead, particularly soldiers and orphans; the Potter family had many members that fit that description. The Potter Box is a model for making ethical decisions developed at Harvard University.
- Leo's theme song was THISKIDSNOTALRIGHT by AWOLNATION.
- Leo's specialised soundtrack, titled homemade dynamite, can be found on 8tracks.
- The constellation of Leo's brightest star is Regulus, which happens to be the name of Leo's eldest son.