You have to be what you are, Leo, wild or not. There's no breaking the mould.
— Kalysta to Leo
Kalysta Cate Jordan-Potter (b. 17 February), occasionally nicknamed the Alley Baby by the media, is a self-proclaimed half-blood witch of the Jordan and Potter families, the adoptive daughter of Jamie Jordan and Elliot Potter. She is also the elder adoptive sister of Leo and Maggie. When Kalysta was around four months old, her biological mother abandoned her in an alleyway in London, condemning her as satanic after witnessing her frenetic displays of underage magic. She was later adopted into the Jordan-Potter family, going the rest of her life without the knowledge behind her biological parentage. As of yet, she is the eldest of her generation.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Kalysta was Sorted into Slytherin House on account of her craftiness and sharp tongue. The decision followed a pause of just over five minutes while the Sorting Hat considered her for Gryffindor, making her a Hatstall. Initially, Kalysta was close with Juno Truelove and several others, but was ostracised by the group and considered a social pariah following an incident in their fourth year; she soon became close friends with Frey Findlay thereafter. Though not very academic, Kalysta aspired from a young age to follow in her father's curative footsteps and become a Healer, forming her natural propensity for Healing magic. She was also creatively inclined, being a dedicated member of the Art Club, as well as a Beater on the Slytherin Quidditch team, and a member of Duelling Club and the all-female W.I.T.C.H.
Throughout her school years, Kalysta was best known for her guile, promiscuity and harsh exterior, struggling with the reputation that two families of great renown had left her. However, Kalysta could occasionally be seen as a protective guide towards others, committing selfless acts in order to better the lives of her family and friends.
- "I feel all goodness for the girl and remain confident that she's going to be something, somebody special. Her story has tugged at the heartstrings of everyone whose life her existence has touched."
- —A report printed by the Daily Prophet in the aftermath of Kalysta's discovery
Over the course of her stay, Kalysta was doted upon by staff and strangers alike: Elliot visited her everyday while countless others arrived with gifts and toys, including a toy unicorn that Kalysta would end up keeping for years onwards. The letter left by her mother indicated that Kalysta was of Greek heritage, and so the hospital collectively chose the middle name Cate. Her birth date was estimated to be around February and Aggie Dewkes suggested the 17th after Mungo Bonham, the hospital's founder. Meanwhile, Kalysta's plight was heavily publicised throughout the wizarding world, with the Daily Prophet nicknaming her the "Alley Baby"; response to the media was great, as the hospital received hundreds of letters from the public wishing the young baby well. The mystery behind her parentage was never solved, and so she was subsequently taken in by Elliot, who later adopted her alongside his partner Jamie Jordan.
Kalysta grew up in the Jordan-Potter family home in Sale, Greater Manchester, along with her two younger adoptive siblings — Leo and Maggie. She had a jovial childhood and family members on both sides were quick to indulge her every whim. Like several other wizarding children her age, she was also tutored in basic knowledge by her great-aunt Persia. Persia thought her to be bubbly and charmingly perceptive, yet adventurous to a fault and very easily distracted; it was not uncommon for her to wander off when captivated by something she had seen, and her family had thought they had lost her many times because of this. On one occasion, she broke her collarbone after racing her entire way down Stoatshead Hill, a feat considered "amazing" considering the many "cartwheels she did".
Kalysta was extremely jealous of Leo when he was first introduced, wary that his presence was going to detract all the attention from her until one day he replaced her entirely. She attempted to outshine him in every possible way, including one stunt where she tried to owl him back to the Ministry. Despite all her best efforts, Leo seemed to genuinely admire her, so much so that his ingenuous nature continually grew on Kalysta until one day she gave way and began calling him her brother. By the time Maggie was introduced, Kalysta had outgrown this watchful way of thinking and tried hard to embody the role of a good elder sister from that point forth.
Life after Hogwarts
Personality and traits
- "I'm pure at heart. It repels the dirt."
- —Kalysta displays her wit in a conversation with Claudia
Magical abilities and skills
- "Her powers are changing. She's becoming more violent, more powerful."
- —Claudia on the evolution of Kalysta's magical ability
- Control of underage magic: Even as a baby, without any prior knowledge of magic at all, the young Kalysta displayed an exceptional degree of control over her usage of underage magic. When she was a young infant, she was able to inadvertently summon toys that had been left on upper shelves to her cot and open and close the blinds as she wished; she was also able to enchant objects to make them travel or float with her mind, an ability she exercised more frequently when causing mischief. Kalysta was not exempt from inflicting harm on those who annoyed or threatened her, habitually emitting a defensive charge in situations where she felt distressed or uncomfortable. Despite having once been an emotional child particularly susceptible to bouts of wild and accidental magic, Irene Sentiatla commented that her powers were surprisingly well-developed for her young age, and that the wizarding world should consider themselves fortunate in having found her so early.
- Healing magic:
- Non-verbal and wandless magic:
- "Your sister has something very special. She draws from a place that few of us are able to reach."
- —Peggy Pellerin to Maggie on Kalysta's artistic ability
- Art and creativity:
- Dark Arts:
- Physical strength and combat:
- Defence Against the Dark Arts:
- Muggle Studies:
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- Hazel wand: Kalysta's wand was manufactured by Orland Ollivander and purchased from his shop in Diagon Alley prior to beginning her magical education; the wand varied between deep shades of red and black and was 12¾" long, made of hazel wood with a unicorn tail hair core. She is the only other member of the Potter family aside from Lattice Malfoy-Potter to possess a wand made of hazel, a sensitive wood that tends to reflect its owner's emotional state.
- Keepsake box:
- Toy unicorn: This knitted unicorn was a children's play-toy based on the magical creature. An elderly witch gifted this to Kalysta when she was a baby being kept in St Mungos. It was the first toy she ever received upon joining the wizarding world, and even though Kalysta claimed the witch who had knitted it was "probably dead now", she still kept it on a shelf in her bedroom out of sentimental value.
- Dress robes:
- Adrian Findlay: "You care about them."
- Kalysta: "No one should ever have to be alone like that. She never wanted me. But they did. And I love them for that."
- — Kalysta on her biological mother and her adoptive parents
- "I just want to say thanks for being a great sister. I might have never said that, but now I have."
- —Leo thanks Kalysta in a rare display of affection
- "Set an example. You know well she looks up to you."
- —Elliot regarding Maggie's admiration for Kalysta
- "Your only weakness is allowing your mind to convince you you're weak."
- —Kalysta giving Dora advice
- "No one else here's been as good to me as you... you're better than your friends, you're better than all of them. And you deserve a future, even if you don't take me with you... even if I thought you would anyway."
- —Kalysta expresses her hopes for a future with Adrian
Kalysta is a name deriving from the Greek Kallistō, a name meaning "she that is most beautiful," which is derived from kallos (beauty, beautiful). The name is borne in Roman mythology by a nymph, a daughter of the Arcadian king Lycaon, and mother of Arcas.
Cate is a Greek feminine given name, and a variant of the name Kate. The name also comes from Latin, French, English, and Welsh origins. The name was chosen by Healers at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, and it means either "pure" or "blessed". It could also be used as a short variant of the name Catherine. The name Catherine is popular in Christian countries, as it was the name of one of the first Christian saints, Catherine of Alexandria. Its variants are also widely used around the world.
Jordan is a unisex name derivative from the Hebrew word "yarden", meaning to descend or "to go down." This name is also taken from the river Jordan in the Middle East. At the time of the Crusades it was common practice for crusaders and pilgrims to bring back flasks of water from the river in which John the Baptist had baptized people, including Christ himself, and to use it in the christening of their own children. As a result Jordan became quite a common personal name.
Potter is a very common surname of English origin. It traditionally refers to the occupation of making pottery. Beatrix Potter was a well-known English children's author. Potter's Field is the name for a burial ground for the unknown or unclaimed dead, particularly soldiers and orphans; the Potter family had many members that fit that description. The Potter Box is a model for making ethical decisions developed at Harvard University.
- Kalysta's theme song was She Wants to Know by Half Moon Run.
- Kalysta's specialised soundtrack, titled horns, can be found on 8tracks.
- During her Hogwarts years, Kalysta studied the mandatory subjects necessary for O.W.L.s, as well as her two chosen electives of Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies. In order to become a Healer, one requires excellent academic credentials in at least five N.E.W.T.s: Kalysta chose to take Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- It should be noted that Kalysta is the first known member of the Jordan family to ever be adopted. She is also the first possible Muggle-born in the Jordan family.
- Due to her actual blood status being unknown, Kalysta identified as half-blood like the rest of the Potter family. It was assumed that she was Muggle-born based on her mother's shock upon witnessing her underage magic, but it is equally likely that she is a half-blood if her biological father had been a wizard and passed on his magical abilities. Interestingly, if Kalysta is a Muggle-born, this is quite unusual as Muggle-borns in the Slytherin House are considered rare.