You have to be what you are, Leo, wild or not. There's no breaking the mould.
— Kalysta to Leo
Kalysta Cate Jordan-Potter (b. 17 February) is a self-proclaimed half-blood witch of the Jordan and Potter families, the adoptive daughter of Elliot Potter and Jamie Jordan. She is also the elder adoptive sister of Leo and Maggie. Her childhood was unconventional and the source of much interest from the media: when she was around four months old, her mother abandoned her in an alleyway, condemning her as satanic after witnessing her frenetic displays of underage magic. She was discovered and later adopted by Elliot, and went the rest of her life without knowing her biological parents. Even still whilst growing up, her magic proved wayward and wild. She is also the eldest of her generation.
Kalysta began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven, where she was Sorted into Slytherin House on account of her craftiness and sharp tongue. The decision followed a pause of just over five minutes while the Sorting Hat strongly considered her for Gryffindor, therefore making her a Hatstall. She was initially friends with Juno Truelove and several others, but was ostracised by the group and considered a social pariah after an incident that led to her being suspended in her fourth year; she soon became close friends with Frey Findlay thereafter. Though not very academic, Kalysta aspired to follow in her father's curative footsteps and become a Healer, leading to her natural propensity for Healing magic. She was also artistically inclined, being a dedicated member of the Art Club, as well as a Beater on the Slytherin Quidditch team, and a member of Duelling Club and the all-female W.I.T.C.H.
Throughout her school years, Kalysta was best known for her guile, promiscuity and harsh exterior, struggling with the reputation that her two well-known families both held. However, Kalysta could occasionally be seen as a protective guide towards others, committing selfless acts in order to better the lives of her family and friends.
- "I feel all goodness for the girl and remain confident that she's going to be something, somebody special. Her story has tugged at the heartstrings of everyone whose life her existence has touched."
- —A report printed by the Daily Prophet in the aftermath of Kalysta's discovery
Over the course of her stay, Kalysta was doted upon by staff and strangers alike: Elliot visited her everyday while countless others arrived with gifts and toys, including a unicorn knitted by an elderly witch that Kalysta would keep for years onwards. The letter left by her mother indicated that Kalysta was of Greek heritage, and so the hospital collectively chose the middle name Cate. Her birth date was estimated to be around February and Aggie Dewkes suggested the 17th after Mungo Bonham, the hospital's founder. Meanwhile, her plight was heavily publicised throughout the wizarding world, with the Daily Prophet nicknaming her the "Alley Baby". The mystery behind her parentage was never solved, and so she was subsequently taken in by Elliot, who later adopted her alongside Jamie Jordan.
Kalysta grew up in the Jordan-Potter family home in Sale, Greater Manchester, along with her two younger adoptive siblings — Leo and Maggie. She had a jovial childhood and much of her time was spent between both sides of her family, most of whom indulged her every whim. Her bubbliness was often displayed at family gatherings or large events, such as the wedding of Maisie and Lucky, and her enthusiastically filling the role of a flower girl at Ivory and Amy's own respective weddings. Like several other wizarding children her age, Kalysta was also tutored in basic knowledge by her great-aunt Persia. Persia thought her to be perceptive, yet adventurous to a fault and very easily distracted. It was not uncommon for her to wander off when captivated by something she had seen, and her people thought she was lost many times because of this.
Life after Hogwarts
- Juno Truelove: "A lot of boys like her. Evan?"
- Evan Calrow: "No."
- Juno Truelove: "Liar. Even you think she's good-looking, don't you? You clearly did at one point. And we all know how hard you are to please!"
- — Discussion of Kalysta's physical appearance
Personality and traits
- "I'm pure at heart. It repels the dirt."
Magical abilities and skills
- Control of underage magic: Before attending Hogwarts, Kalysta was seen to have already attained a level of control over her magic, which was a rare and surprising skill for a witch so young.
- Healing magic:
- Non-verbal and wandless magic:
- "Kalysta has something very special, Maggie. She draws from a place that few of us are able to reach."
- —Professor Kramer to Maggie on Kalysta's artistic ability
- Art and creativity:
- Dark Arts:
- Kalysta: "Kalysta."
- Daniel: "What?"
- Kalysta: "Tell them that Kalysta is the one girl that broke your fucking fingers."
- — Kalysta uses her strength to break Daniel's fingers
- Physical strength and combat:
- Defence Against the Dark Arts:
- Muggle Studies:
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- Hazel wand: Kalysta's wand was manufactured by Orland Ollivander and purchased from his shop in Diagon Alley prior to beginning her magical education; the wand varied between deep shades of red and black and was 12¾" long, made of hazel wood with a unicorn tail hair core. She is the only other member of the Potter family aside from Lattice to possess a wand made of hazel, a sensitive wood that tends to reflect its owner's emotional state. Kalysta went on to use this wand all throughout her education and later life. It was praised as being outstanding and extremely devoted to its owner, but bore the unfortunate tendency to discharge unpredictable energy whenever she lost her temper or grew overemotional.
- Toy unicorn: This knitted unicorn was a children's play-toy based on the magical creature. An elderly witch gifted this to Kalysta as a baby in St Mungos, during the period in which she was visited by staff and strangers in the aftermath of her discovery. It was the first toy she ever received upon joining the wizarding world, and Kalysta kept it on a shelf in her bedroom out of sentimental value.
- Keepsake box:
- Dress robes:
- "You know, I was holding her yesterday and she was crying but then she stopped. I've held a lot of babies, but I looked down at her, and I dunno what it was. I just couldn't picture her being with any other parent or any other family."
- —Elliot makes the final decision to adopt Kalysta
- "I just want to say thanks for being a great sister. I might have never said that, but now I have."
- —Leo thanks Kalysta after Urya dies
- "Set an example. She looks up to you, you know that."
- —Elliot regarding Maggie's admiration for Kalysta
- "No one else here's been as good to me as you. You're better than your friends. You're better than anyone else here. And you deserve a future, even if you don't take me with you... even if I thought you would anyway."
- —Kalysta regarding her hopes for a future with Adrian
Kalysta is a name deriving from the Greek Kallistō, a name meaning "she that is most beautiful," which is derived from kallos (beauty, beautiful). The name is borne in Roman mythology by a nymph, a daughter of the Arcadian king Lycaon, and mother of Arcas.
Cate is a Greek feminine given name, and a variant of the name Kate. The name also comes from Latin, French, English, and Welsh origins. The name was chosen by Healers at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, and it means either "pure" or "blessed". It could also be used as a short variant of the name Catherine. The name Catherine is popular in Christian countries, as it was the name of one of the first Christian saints, Catherine of Alexandria. Its variants are also widely used around the world.
Jordan is a unisex name derivative from the Hebrew word "yarden", meaning to descend or "to go down." This name is also taken from the river Jordan in the Middle East. At the time of the Crusades it was common practice for crusaders and pilgrims to bring back flasks of water from the river in which John the Baptist had baptized people, including Christ himself, and to use it in the christening of their own children. As a result Jordan became quite a common personal name.
Potter is a very common surname of English origin. It traditionally refers to the occupation of making pottery. Beatrix Potter was a well-known English children's author. Potter's Field is the name for a burial ground for the unknown or unclaimed dead, particularly soldiers and orphans; the Potter family had many members that fit that description. The Potter Box is a model for making ethical decisions developed at Harvard University.
- Kalysta's theme song was She Wants to Know by Half Moon Run.
- Kalysta's specialised soundtrack, titled horns, can be found on 8tracks.
- During her Hogwarts years, Kalysta studied the mandatory subjects necessary for O.W.L.s, as well as her two chosen electives of Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies. In order to become a Healer, one required excellent academic credentials in at least five N.E.W.T.s; Kalysta chose to take Potions, Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, and Defence Against the Dark Arts.
- Kalysta also attended the extra-curricular Art Club from her third year onwards.
- It should be noted that Kalysta is the first known member of the Jordan family to ever be adopted. She is also the first Muggle-born in the Jordan family.
- Due to her actual blood status being unknown, Kalysta identified as half-blood, like the rest of the Potter family. It was assumed that she was a Muggle-born based on her mother's shock upon witnessing her underage magic, but it is equally likely that she is a half-blood if her biological father had been a wizard and passed on his magical abilities. Interestingly, if Kalysta is in fact a Muggle-born, this is quite unusual as Muggle-borns in the Slytherin House are considered rare.