|“||You speak of justice? The mafia is bound by their own laws. They take their own justice.||”|
— Grace on the Sicilian Wizard-Mafia
Lady Grace Maria Virginia Cairistiona Luciano (née Antebellum) (b. 5 August) is an Italian noblewoman, mafioso, philanthropist and socialite pure-blood witch of the House of Antebellum. She is the youngest child of Madeline and Louis Antebellum, as well as the younger sister of Regina and the younger half-sister of Maisie. Grace married in her early twenties to her life-long husband, Luka Luciano, with whom she had no children with.
To the dismay of her mother, Grace attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry the following year of her sister, Regina, and likewise, was sorted into the Slytherin house. She and Regina became known for their infamous duality and wicked ways, known for their wealth, title and extravagance. Grace herself, however, was in the same year as her own half-sister and second cousin, Maisie, as well as her cousin, Marina, though she paid them little mind or attention until their seventh year at school, following her banishment by Regina.
Upon graduating, Grace moved to London, having no relationship with her sister. She later married Luka and rekindled her relations with Regina, becoming not only the Matriarch of the family but a co-head of the Antebellum Empire and the Underboss of the Sicilian Wizard-Mafia. Grace was largely underestimated as both a witch and a woman of a high political stance. In truth, she is masterful in various fields of magic and is extremely intelligent, in spite of her materialistic ways, having received seven 'Outstanding's in her N.E.W.Ts. As a whole, Grace became greatly respected as both a Matriarch and an underboss, both admired and at times, feared, for her cunning and magical talents.
Early lifeMadeline Carolla and Louis Antebellum on August 5th, in Palermo, Sicily. Her mother a socialite and philanthropist, whilst her father the head of a powerful empire and a Sicilian mafioso boss.
- "And I toast to you, Signora Luciano. La Bella Mafia."
- —An Italian Noble to Grace
Personality and traits
From a young age, Grace has been shallow and materialistic, enjoying the luxuries of her wealthy life more so than her sister, Regina, who seemed to exacerbate knowledge and political manoeuvring more so than the splendour of their extravagant lifestyles. As a result of this, Grace is often underestimated by her enemies. In truth, Grace is also highly intelligent, as many of the Antebellum family are, being fluent in six languages including Italian, English, French, Spanish, Arabic and Latin. She was also taught the masterful and expedient political skills of the magical and muggle worlds by her grandmother, Yvaine, who had learnt her skills from her own mother, Pandora Thorn. With these skills came an ability to strategise and manipulate with great intellect.
Magical abilities and skills
- Fir wood wand:
- "Chiudi la bocca! None speak ill of the Antebellum! The same will happen to any who defy us!"
- —Grace defending her family name
- Grace: "You see me as a weapon. A bargaining chip; a vessel for your dreams of greatness."
- Regina: "You're more than that—"
- Grace: "Yes. I am."
- — Grace confronting her sister
- Ember: "Is that all you Italians know how to do? Scream and hit?"
- Grace: "No, we also know how to make love and sing opera."
- — Ember and Grace bickering
The name Grace is of English origin, a name derived from the Latin 'gratia', meaning God's favour.
Grace's first middle name, Maria, is the Latin form of the name Mary, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean sea of bitterness or sea of sorrow. However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of rebellion, wished-for child, and mistress or lady of the sea.
Her second middle name, Virginia, derives from the Ancient Roman family name Virginius. The name likely derives from the Latin word virgo, meaning maiden or virgin.
Her final middle name, Cairistiona, is a Scottish Gaelic female name meaning Christian. The English equivalent is Christina. It originated in the Scottish Highlands, and is considered rare.
The surname Antebellum derives from the Latin word bellum that means war, which therefore defines Antebellum as before the war. It is most often used in context of the US Civil War.
- Grace's theme song is Crazy by Patsy Cline, covered by Hayden Panettiere.
- Grace's specialised soundtrack, titled you don't own me, can be found on 8tracks.
- During her Hogwarts years, Grace studied the mandatory subjects necessary for O.W.L.s, as well as an optional two of Divination and Study of Ancient Runes. For her N.E.W.T exams, she studied a total of seven subjects, including Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, Divination, Study of Ancient Runes, Defence Against the Dark Arts and History of Magic.
- Grace also attended an extracurricular of both Music and Orchestra between her second and sixth year.