|“||Men fight wars. Women win them.||”|
— Delilah to Kalysta
Delilah Florence Peltier-Thorn (b. 29 September) is a well known half-blood witch born to the House of Thorn and Peltier family. She is the daughter of Maisie Thorn, a former mercenary, and James Peltier, a famous Quidditch player. She is also the twin sister of Roman and the elder sister of Wednesday.
Like her parents, Delilah and Roman were both sent to study magic at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, despite living in France. Unlike her brother, who was sorted into the Gryffindor house, Delilah was sorted into the Slytherin house, as was Wednesday in the following year. Delilah became known as the offspring of two powerful magical families, being described as an 'it-girl' figure across both the Slytherin house and Hogwarts pupils. Delilah was infamously known for her rivalry with her cousin, Saoirse, who also shared her it-girl status and popularity. Delilah is most commonly known for her feminist beliefs and is the leader and member of the female-only advocacy group, W.I.T.C.H.
Personality and traits
Magical abilities and skills
- "That's why I always win. And you lose."
- —Delilah to Saoirse
- Amphibious transformation: Delilah, as a half-breed of mermaid and human, is able to transform between an ordinary human appearance and that of a mermaid appearance, by undergoing a quick metamorphosis. Providing that she remains adequately hydrated and returns to the water occasionally, Delilah is perfectly within her ability to live on land for extensive amounts of time.
- Aquatic habitation: Delilah is able to survive and adapt to any underwater environment she encountered, including enduring high water pressure and extreme water temperatures.
- Enhanced strength, speed, and agility: In water, Delilah's powerful and streamlined tail allows her to propel through the roughest waters with incredible speed, grace, and agility with minimal restrictions to water resistance. Mermaids as a species are noted as being five times faster than a sailfish, the fastest animal in the water. She is also extremely agile and flexible both in water and on land, giving her great flexibility in her overall movement. She also possesses an enhanced form of physical strength, that allows her to overpower much larger beings.
- Underwater protection: Delilah is also granted with the ability to bestow a gift of underwater protection onto an individual by kissing them, that in turn, gives them the ability to breathe underwater for the duration they remain beneath it. Upon returning to the surface, the enchantment is broken.
- Albus: "I take it you're a fish, too?"
- Delilah: "A fish that will drown you if you ever call her a fish again."
- — Albus regarding Delilah's half-breed nature
- Leadership skills:
- Plum wood wand:
The name Delilah is a Hebrew female forename. In Hebrew, the name has a meaning of amorous, delight, languishing and temptress. In the Old Testament, Samson's mistress Delilah tricked him into revealing the secret of his strength, then betrayed him to the Philistines.
Delilah's middle name, Florence, is an English given female name. It is the French version after Saint Florentia, Roman martyr under Diocletian. It comes from Latin florens, florentius blossoming, verb floreo, meaning to flower, in the sense of a blossom.
Delilah's first surname in her double-barreled surname is Peltier, that dates back to the Middle Ages. It was a Norman name given to a furrier. Looking back even further, it's found the name was originally derived from the Old French word pellet, meaning animal skin, and was used to indicate a person in the trade of removing and selling the skins of animals. The second surname in her double-barreled surname is Thorn, that derives from an English and Danish background. It is a topographic name for someone who lived by a thorn bush or hedge (Old English, Old Norse þorn).
- Delilah's theme song is Landslide by Robyn Sherwell.
- Delilah's specialised soundtrack, titled various storms and saints, can be found on 8tracks.
- During her Hogwarts years, Delilah studied the mandatory subjects necessary for O.W.L.s, as well as an optional two of Arithmancy and Divination. For her N.E.W.T exams, she studied a total of seven subjects, including Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Arithmancy and Divination.