|“||You have a curse, Miss Cauldwell, and you have only your family to blame.||”|
— Almeria Prismall
Cauldwell is the surname of a large wizarding half-blood family that have been extant since the medieval era. They are well-known within the wizarding community for being unusually kind, hard-working and resourceful. All members of the Cauldwell family are also known for being red-haired and Sorted into Hufflepuff upon attendance of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (though some more recent generations have since altered this tradition).
- Alanna Cauldwell: "The day before she tried to kill herself, Atria found out she was pregnant. She had predicted the death of her one true love and now what? Her child would be fatherless. So the day she gave birth, she left the baby with his family. And that baby took their name."
- Ember Cauldwell: "Cauldwell."
- — The early induction of the banshee gene into the Cauldwell family
- largest wizarding family in ireland
- defective/strange genes
Relatives by marriage
- "The Cauldwells earned their worth through no more than hard work, and are deserving of every penny they have."
The surname Cauldwell is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is a locational surname deriving from any one of the places called "Caldwell" in North Yorkshire and Warwickshire. It means "the cold spring, or stream".
- Orange hair, a common trait within the Cauldwell family, was considered a sign of witchcraft in medieval times.
- According to houseofnames.com, the Cauldwell family in fact originally hailed from Scotland, and the original bearer lived near a well that gave cold water.